Sunday, December 1, 2013

Website Updates and December Blues

Starting January 2014, I will no longer be hosting my web address elizabethrunnoe.com.  I know, I know... I just launched a new version of it in August but my hosting service was expiring and I decided to consolidate.  You can still find me here at elizabethrunnoe.blogspot.com.  I figured it was just easier and cheaper to stay with blogspot (it’s free!) so why have both?



It’s officially December and winter is most definitely coming.  They are forecasting single digits by the end of the week and at night we are going down into the negatives.  I am bracing myself for my first full Minnesota winter.  I hope it's not as painful as people make it seem.

With November coming to a close, I am sad to report on my progress with NanoWrite.  I lost steam, not just with the story but with writing in general.  I knew I wasn't going to finish by the end of November but still I was hoping to at least be halfway done.  I am only around 17k words.

It’s been difficult for me lately especially when the people close to me have the maybe-it’s-time-to-grow-up-and-be-realistic conversation.  Maybe they’re right and I never will get published.  During times like these, I have to remind myself that I still have MOD out to interested agents and who knows--I may get that email today saying they want to rep my story.  But most of the time I just have that sinking feeling that it’s not going to happen for me.

I'm beginning to have doubts and that makes it really difficult to sit in front of my computer and tackle the next chapter.  Every word I type just seems wrong.  And I start to question the voice, the story, the paragraph--is this too long?  Is this character unlikable?  Am I going to send this out to agents once I'm finished only to fill my inbox up with more form rejections?  Then it's pretty much over for me and I have to stop writing for the day.  That, in a nutshell, explains my pathetic 17k word count for an entire 30 days worth of work.  566 words a day.  

So I have been feeling pretty discouraged lately about my writing prospects when funny enough I came across this Insecure Writer’sSupport Group Lo and behold what do they have on their front page?  This NanoWrite jpg:




That made me smile and feel a whole lot better about everything.  So, I decided I had to join.  The group posts the first Wednesday of the month and I'm anxious to see what it's all about.  Writing is a very solitary thing for me but maybe I need to come out from under my rock and see how other people are coping.  



3 comments:

  1. I consolidated 2 years ago... or maybe it was just a year ago, but went the other way from Blogger to my hosted website. But I'm really happy I went down to one site. I know you'll be happy you made that decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you missed the IWSG post yesterday, but welcome to the group! Next posting is January 8.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wanted to sit the first post out so I could see what it was all about. Will be sure to post next time.

      Delete