Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Revisions, revisions, revisions....


It’s the beginning of March and time for another posting of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group!  This is a blog hop so after reading mine, please take the time to visit some of the other insecure writers found here.

I am in the middle of a major revision of my current work in progress.  I’ve decided to go back and rip apart everything I’ve done so far and practically start over.  I’m keeping the characters, the setting and some of the major plot points but really it’s going to be a brand new story.

This is not the first time I’ve done this and I’m wondering if I’m unintentionally sabotaging myself.  It takes me forever to finish a full-length story and I find myself rewriting it over and over again.  Of course with every rewrite comes (in my opinion) a stronger narrative, more interesting characters and on the whole much better writing.  If I look at it that way then it’s totally worth it. 

But I don’t know.  It would be so nice to write it right the first time.  Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?  I hear about people finishing a full length manuscript in less than a month and I just can’t see how it’s done…

Anyway, that’s the insecurity that’s bothering me the most this month, especially when I see my word count drop drastically with every chapter I cut.  So frustrating!!!

12 comments:

  1. Never stop learning, is my motto. Maybe this is your process and it simply works for you. Or...maybe you're afraid of the next step? Putting it out there for everyone to see. Kinda like a flasher. *snicker*

    I once tore a 110 K ms apart, changed the third person narrative to first. Looking back, third person was just fine, but in the process I cleaned up some major plot mistakes.

    Keep on truckin'. You'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the post! I think both of your observations are valid! I should just rip off the trench coat and put it all out there. Hehe.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with revisions!

    I'd love to write a perfect first draft. Of course, I also believe there isn't such a thing. First drafts are for feeling out the story and the characters. I don't recommend to continually rewrite the same story over and over again, though. At some point, it is the way it should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cherie! It helps to think of a first draft with that perspective in mind. I do think this latest revision will be the last. Like you said, it's coming together the way it should be.

      Delete
  3. The only time I ever finished a draft in a month was when I participated in NaNo. It was great to have that first draft, but then I still did tons of revisions. I think if your process works for you then that is all that matters. Good luck with your revisions. It's great to meet you through the IWSG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment and for the words of encouragement about my process! I'm still trying to figure it all out.

      It's nice to meet you as well!

      Delete
  4. Revisions are a pain in the butt indeed. But sure you will get through them at top speed

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment! I hope you are right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain with the complete rework. I'm experiencing those pains myself. I hold to Ernest Hemingway's quote of “The first draft of anything is ****.”

    Best of luck with your redo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure that it must be very frustrating dealing with all of the revisions. Try not to rush through it, and remember that it will all be worth it in the end.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I know it will be worth it in the end but sometimes it just seems impossible. But you're right--I'll try not to rush and really give it my all!

      Delete