#PitchWars Mentee Bio

#PitchWars is here!!!  The submission window closes today so if you are debating entering, you better get a move on!  For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, check it out on Brenda Drake's website.  Basically, a group of wonderful mentors will choose a mentee and then work with them to whip their manuscript into shape.  How awesome is that?

In the meantime, a few of us are putting together mentee bios in case the mentors want more info.  Check out the others on this #PimpMyBio blog hop.  So here's mine.  Disclaimer: I find these things extremely difficult to write.

About Me


  • I'm a dog lover living in Minnesota.  My two papillons are Hugo and Samson.  
  • I lived in New York City for twelve years. I had the time of my life!
  • I majored in Film Studies and also received a Masters in it, which means I ought to gravitate towards intellectual cinematic oeuvre.  I don't always.  In fact, my husband has caught me watching Miss Congeniality on TBS more times than I can count.
  • Favorite movies include Amadeus, Gone with the Wind, Philadelphia Story, Unforgiven, Rashomon, and yes... Tremors. 
  • Lately, I've been more into TV.  Favorites include Game of Thrones and Walking Dead.
  • I love history.  I'm obsessed with the Victorian era and the Wild West.  I was really into Ancient Rome for awhile.  I also have a strange obsession with witches and anything dark. 
  • Speaking of dark, Hieronymus Bosch is my favorite artist.   
  • I'm of Korean and French descent.

About My Manuscript


  • My story is a Young Adult Gothic Horror, inspired by Frankenstein among other things.  It's set during the Victorian era although I purposefully kept the location vague.  
  • It has elements of steampunk and magical realism.
  • Even though the story falls within the horror genre, it's not particularly scary... at least I don't think.  It's more atmospheric and creepy.  There's also some gore--not anything super violent like the movie Saw.  (No way could I handle that.)  But there's definitely some blood.  :)
  • I forgot to mention my favorite books!  I grew up loving the classics.  19th century fiction is my favorite: Thomas Hardy, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the Brontes, Austen, Whitman.  When I wrote this story, I tried to capture their classic voice.  One reader called it Modern Gothic, which I thought was pretty cool.
  • I love tragedy.  I tend to prefer a tragic ending over a happy one.  :)

Why I Would Love a #PitchWars Mentor



  • I feel that my story is a little out of the box in terms of style.  It's fairly literary, wordy, and there's quite a bit of telling.  I, personally, love it because it reminds me of 19th century literature.  But at the same time, I know it needs to find an audience so I would kill for a mentor willing to work with me to make it more commercially viable.
  • I'm also having some issues with pacing, particularly in the second half.  I revised it already in preparation for this contest (squee!!) but another set of eyes would be awesome.

One last thing to note: I am willing to work hard!  I will revise till my fingers bleed!  I want to make this story the best it can be so please pick me!  

Okay, enough begging.  :)   No matter what happens, I'm thrilled to participate!

Comments

Popular Posts